Barbie Cafe'

Barbie's Cafe' Search

Custom Search

TRANSLATE BARBIE CAFE' HERE

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Celebrity Monday - Kate Winslet as Rose - Titanic



I am not too sure how well accepted this picture was abroad, but in Brazil this movie was huge! 

I can remember going to the theater and having to wait in line for a couple of hours just to buy my own ticket to get in!  Well, I was a teenager back then, and it was the "cool thing" at that moment, and I couldn't be out of the trend...  so I had to watch it. 

Looking back at things, if I had to do something like that again, today...  No thank you! 

I can even remember crying when he died... 
OK, so at that emotional part, I'm still the same... 

Everything in this movie was so magical, unique and lovely, it's no wonder that, yes, I will even admit to have watched this movie at least 3 times...  amazing, the power of Hollywood!! 
The story was basically about Rose and Jack.  A love story that ended in tragedy...  maybe that's why Mattel never made a "Jack" (Leonardo DiCaprio) doll, as he did die! 

Anyways, the role of "Rose", whom was played by Kate Winslet made her career as an actress boom.  I never did see her face before Titanic, not that I was always at the theaters, (and I was living abroad), but I'm sure she must have had other successful roles before this one as an actress.  Truth be known that this was probably because this movie was one of those "all over the world celebrity" films, I would imagine...

Kate Elizabeth Winslet CBE (born 5 October 1975) is an English actress. She was the youngest person to accrue six Academy Award nominations, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress for The Reader (2008). She has won awards from the Screen Actors Guild, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association among others, and has been nominated twice for an Emmy Award for television acting, winning once for her role as Mildred Pierce in the 2011 mini-series of the same name. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Winslet



I didn't even know she was from England!!!  She somehow reminders me of Adelle, the singer.

So, Mattel finally got the fever, and 10 years later created the Rose Barbie doll 10th Anniversary in 2007:





This doll was based on the movie, not in the actress, explaining the reason that the doll does not look exactly like the actress, I think...  it is a nice doll, but not really as impressive as other Barbie Collector Dolls, considering the luxury and size of the "Titanic", Mattel could have done a better job with this one - unless the funds were limited... 

P.S: A doll of Jack was made, in 2008, by a Company called "Custom Figures Paradise" - This is by far a better molding with more accurate likenesses... 






Hope you have a great week!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses. She plays her roles very well. The Titanic Barbie is very original. Jack himself is much like the actor. I love the music of the film 'Titanic'. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the music too!!!
    Thanks for stopping by Marta :-)

    ReplyDelete